The Attacker’s Advantage: Turning Uncertainty into Breakthrough Opportunities
By Ram Charan
Head: (5 out of 5)
Heart: (3 out of 5)
Leadership Applicability: (5 out of 5)
Senior leaders are familiar with strategic challenges inherent in executive leadership, including dealing with uncertainty. But in today’s business environment, a new kind of uncertainty has emerged: structural uncertainty, which can destroy the structure of an existing market space and reduce or eliminate it without much warning. Excelling in this new reality requires honing specific strategic leadership skills and abilities which, according to the author, Ram Charan, are different than those they’ve relied on in the past. This may be the last leadership frontier to master and those who can, give their companies an edge.
This book outlines the business case for structural uncertainty vs. other uncertainties, and offers practical tools and insights to help leaders develop the skills required to lead in this new business reality, including:
- Ability to recognize sources of uncertainty and their implications before your competition
- Mindset to see the opportunities present in uncertainty
- Ability to see a new path forward and commit to it
- Adeptness in managing the transition to the new path
- Skill in making your organization agile to exploit opportunities and respond to sudden shifts
In a global business environment, companies that create change become market leaders and it can happen faster than we think. Executives who want to develop new leadership skills that can help their companies deal with this uncertainty and thrive in this new reality will want to read this book. Buy it now.